Doctors at the trust believe the life support should be turned off but the child's parents, Connie Yates and Chris Gard, want to take him to the USA for experimental treatment, resulting in a series of High Court hearings.
The parents of critically ill baby Charlie Gard wept as they dropped their legal bid Monday to send him to the United States for an experimental medical treatment, acknowledging that the window of opportunity to help him had closed.
The parents said they made the decision following the latest round of medical reports and scans on the boy who was born in August 2016.
The heartbroken mum wept as she told the High Court: "We only wanted to give him a chance of life".
Charlie Gard's parents have paid tribute to their "absolute warrior" after withdrawing their application to take their terminally ill baby to the United States for treatment.
According to what Armstrong told the court, US neurologist Dr. Michio Hirano had informed the parents that he was no longer willing to offer the baby experimental therapy after he saw the results of a new MRI scan last week.
Following the news, blogger Matthew Scott tweeted: "To those who blame lawyers stringing out cases for self-enrichment: ALL of parents' lawyers acted for free, ALL of the time".
"The parents' worst nightmare have been confirmed", Mr Armstrong said.
Her partner, Chris Gard, said on the steps of the court: "We are going to spend our last precious moments with our son Charlie".
Everyday life disrupted as India-China standoff over Doklam continues
The PLA's long-range combat capability can also allow its troops in remote area to provide fire support to troops at the border. India and China have a dispute over their boundaries dating back to the 1962 war and are in talks to resolve their differences.
Supporters of Charlie Gard hold placards outside the court in London. The legal battle involving Charlie Gard captured the attention of many in the rare disease community, as well as celebrities and world leaders, from Cher and Paul Ryan, to Pope Francis and President Donald Trump.
Dad Chris spoke to reporters in an emotional statement outside the court.
The 11-month-old has is under the hospital's care, whose doctors advised against continuing life support as the child can not move his arms and legs, or breathe without help.
The parents believe that the hospital should have allowed them to take him to another facility for treatment.
"We have more sorrow than we have words to say", Katie Gollop, a lawyer for the hospital, said.
"We want people to realise we have been speaking to parents whose children were just like Charlie and are now just walking around like normal children".
Dr Hirano's "fresh evidence" had led to a new hearing on the issue and on Monday, Judge Nicholas Francis had been due to rule on whether the child should be allowed to leave the country.
Great Ormond Street Hospital, where Charlie is receiving care, have said the hearts of the staff go out to Charlie and his parents and that their decision "commands GOSH's utmost respect and humble all who work there".
He says delays in treating Charlie mean his condition is now so poor that treatment will not help.