What’s inside Egypt’s mysterious sarcophagus? So far, no curse

Egyptian archaeologists reveal contents of mysterious giant sarcophagus in Alexandria

Authorities open 2,000-year-old sarcophagus, apparently avoid curse

Mustafa Waziri of Egypt's Ministry of Antiquities told local media the team assigned to crack open the gargantuan tomb managed to pry the 2000-year-old lid just 5cm off the box before being overpowered by the rancid odour of its contents.

Egypt's antiquities ministry had previously dismissed the chances of finding Alexander's remains in the sarcophagus.

The sarcophagus was first found earlier in July by construction workers in a residential area of Alexandria, a city on Egypt's Mediterranean coast.

Since its discovery, the mysterious tomb has internationally grasped the attention, and several global websites warned of its opening as it would be "a risky business or so history tells us" for the possibility of unleashing the curse that would bring disaster to the world, as remarked by the British news website The Sun.

After returning to lift the lid with the help of the military, they found the skeletal remains of three people.

At nearly 6.5 feet high and 10 feet long, the structure is the largest of its kind ever found intact, the BBC reports.

Forecast: Heavy storms coming to Brooklyn Tuesday
Sunshine and warm temperatures once again in the forecast today with highs topping out in the upper 80's to mid 90's. Comfortable conditions are expected for Wednesday through Friday , with daytime highs expected in the low 80s.


A mysterious Egyptian sarcophagus feared to contain a deadly mummy's curse has finally been opened.

"One of the mummies had a trace of an arrow in the head", he said in a phone interview.

If you believe in curses, it's always going to be a bit of a risk to open an ancient sarcophagus and disturb the spirits within. "Unfortunately the mummies inside were not in the best condition and only the bones remain", said Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Ministry of Antiquities.

But according to the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities, the three skeletons found inside are probably those of warriors.

Last Saturday, Waziri said, five intact and sealed stone sarcophagi were found in Saqqara necropolis, along with a mummification workshop, and when one was opened nothing happened; no curse, and the world did not fall into darkness as some claim will happen.

Mr Waziri said it was unlikely the remains found this week belonged to any notable members of the Ptolemaic dynasty (332 BC-30 BC) associated with Alexander the Great, or the subsequent Roman era.

Latest News